I Have A Problem

Consumer problems cross a wide variety of topics. Depending on the problem, the Utah Division of Consumer Protection may be able to assist you, or you may need to contact a different agency.

Below are options to help you find assistance with your problem:

  • To determine what agency is the best to help you with your problem, search the Consumer Referral Guide.
  • If you believe Consumer Protection is the correct agency to help you with your problem, File a Complaint or Report an Issue.
  • For more information about consumer issues, click here.

Most Common Complaints

  1. Home Repair/Remodel
  2. Home Furnishings
  3. Auto Purchases
  4. Business Opportunities
  5. Travel/Vacations
  6. Home Protection: Devices/Alarms/Cameras
  7. Home Appliances
  8. Health Care: Other Products/Supplies
  9. Solar
  10. Home Repair Other Than Warranty
Search the Consumer Referral Guide

If you are unable to find the answers or assistance you need, call (801) 530-6601 during normal business hours (M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm) to speak with a staff member.