Pawnshops, Secondhand Merchandise Dealers, & Catalytic Converter Purchasers
Every pawnbroker, non-exempt secondhand merchandise dealer, and Catalytic Converter Purchaser is required to keep a record of each article of property that a person pawns or sells to the business. The information is required to be submitted to a statewide repository that is accessible to law enforcement.
NOTE: Please download and carefully review the
If you have further questions after reading these materials, please contact the Division at firstname.lastname@example.org. The orientation packet above gives detailed information regarding:
- The registration requirements and process for Pawnshop, Secondhand Merchandise Dealer, Catalytic Converter Purchasers.
- An explanation of the Utah Central Database and the relevant contact information.
- A summary of certain sections of the Pawnshop, Secondhand Merchandise and Catalytic Converter Transaction Information Act 13-32a-101 et seq.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Additional resources and links
This information is made available as a free public service without any express or implied warrranties, and is subject to the following disclaimers:
- ACCURACY. The State makes no guarantee of the completeness or accuracy of this information. The State makes no promise or warranty to maintain or update the information. The user assumes the risk of verifying materials.
- NO WARRANTIES. In providing this information, the State makes no express or implied warranty, and does not assume any responsibility for the information's accuracy, completeness, currency, or use for any purpose.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Date and time of the transaction
- Whether the transaction is a pawn or purchase
- Ticket or receipt number
- Date ticket must be redeemed (if item was pawned)
- The seller's name, residence address, date of birth, driver's license number (or other valid form of federal or state issued ID), and phone number.
- Seller's signature
- Legible fingerprint of the seller's right index finger (Not necessary if you are transmitting digital fingerprints to the central database.)
- The amount loaned on or paid for the item
- The identification of the business employee collecting the seller info
- An accurate description of the item being pawned or sold to the business, including: identifying marks such as names, brand names, numbers, serial numbers, model numbers, color, manufacturers' names, and size; metallic composition, and any jewels, stones, or glass; any other marks of identification or indicia of ownership on the property; the weight of the property, if the payment is based on weight; any other unique identifying feature; gold content, if indicated. See section 13-32a-104.
Note: There are slightly different requirements for coin dealers (see section 13-32a-104.5), automated recycling kiosk operators (see section 13-32a-104.6), and catalytic converter purchasers (see section 13-32a-104.7) with regards to the information required to be obtained from the seller/pawner of the item(s). Please refer to those specific sections for the complete list for each respective industry type.
- Property with removed, altered, defaced or obliterated serial numbers or other indicia of ownership.
- Property that is not a numismatic item but has indicia of being new and is not accompanied by a receipt or other satisfactory proof of ownership beyond the seller's own statement.
- Gift cards, transaction cards, or other physical or digital cards or certificated evidencing store credit.
Also, you can click on the "Search" tab and select "Search/Edit Tickets" from the list. This will allow you to search for past tickets by ticket number, a ticket date or date range, or the name of the seller/pawner. The ideal way to confirm compliance is to simply select today's date and a date in the past such as a week and review all the tickets that were uploaded during that time to confirm all date is present and accounted for.
Laws and Rules
- Pawnshop, Secondhand Merchandise, and Catalytic Converter Transaction Information Act (Printable Format), Utah Code Ann. §13-32a
- Pawnshop, Secondhand Merchandise, and Catalytic Converter Transaction Information Act, Utah Code Ann. §13-32a
- Pawnshop, Secondhand Merchandise, and Catalytic Converter Transaction Information Act Rules: R152-32a
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Salt Lake City Field Office
(Federal regulations regarding proper sale/purchase/transfer of firearms, etc.)
257 East 200 South Ste 475
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- Utah Central Database
(Technical questions about the pawn database - acceptable file formats, etc.)
Utah County Information Systems
Email: email@example.com (email correspondence preferred)
- Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
(To register a new business name, DBA, etc., or to renew same)
160 East 300 S, 2nd Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- Utah Division of Weights and Measures
(For information on “legal for trade” scales related to gold or precious metal purchasing)
350 N Redwood Road
PO BOX 146500
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500